PTO Minutes

LeTort PTO Monthly Meeting Minutes

January 24, 2023 at 6:30 pm in Library


In attendance: Melissa Hochreiter, President; Tara Beakes, Treasurer; Jess Martin, Secretary; Karen Giffin, Asst. Officer; Dr. Carly McPherson, Mrs. Baker, and 6 other attendees.


Melissa opened the meeting at 6:30pm with introductions.


Principal’s Report:


Dr. McPherson reported that grant money from PMEF was used to purchase a sensory path and an exhibit for use in the area near the car rider hall. The items used are colorful and follow a path of activities for the students to complete to help them stay focused when in the hallway and refocus before going back to the classroom. Grant money was also given for an in-school field trip by the VanGo Museum Art Bus that will be coming at the end of March. Each class will get to participate by entering the van to see art exhibits, much like as if they were going to an art museum in person.


Dr. McPherson also talked about the 2 scholarships that the LeTort PTO provides to 2 graduating Penn Manor seniors based on community service and academics. ($500 each). The discussion involved qualifications for being considered for the scholarships.


Treasurer’s Report:


Tara shared that there is currently $16,066.53 in the account.


Previous/Upcoming Events:

Karen reported that Take Out Tuesday at Noodles & Co brought in $90.19 and Copper Hill brought in $300 which also included a donation from the venue.


Tara talked about the holiday gift shop at 5 Below. It was a huge success with little provisions required from the PTO. We are looking into doing it again this year. A special thank you to all the 6th grade helpers! It brought in $359.62.


Jess shared about the Scrip Card Program. The PTO made a few hundred dollars off of the sale of gift cards before Christmas. There was discussion about whether to continue this program in the future.


Jess reported on the Giving Tree. There was discussion about whether or not to continue doing it. Most of the teachers just ask for gift cards.


Melissa shared about the LeTort Holiday Extravaganza. Each of the kids were given hot chocolate and a candy cane. There were also Christmas carols for each class. The kids seemed to enjoy it.


There was discussion about possibly changing the bookfair to a week other than conference week.


Upcoming:

Karen talked about Game Night. It was decided that because there were not enough families signed up that it would be canceled and will look to reschedule if timing allows.


Melissa discussed Sons and Special Ladies night. We are looking at changing it up due to a concern raised about too many participants not participating in the dance. A professor from MU will be leading the event with structured programs


Karen shared that Take out Tuesday February will be held at Arooga’s.


Melissa said that Bus Driver Appreciation week will be in February. There will be a special treat given to the drivers from PTO.


Melissa talked about the Talent Show which will be held on March 24th. “Show Us Your Act” dates will be Mar. 13th and 14th. and dress rehearsals will be Mar. 23rd.


Mrs. Baker discussed a new upcoming event called LeTort Loves Literacy. It will be held for a month starting in February.There will be an assembly for the big reveal. There was a motion made by Melissa to add money in the budget for future years and a second by Karen. This year, a large portion is covered by a PMEF grant. The remaining balance required will be covered by PTO. It was also discussed that future budgeted amounts for this event will depend on the response to this first event and that budgeted amounts will likely change every year for this event and based on what is needed.


Melissa talked about the yearbook. Flyers will be coming out soon.


We are looking at some ideas for a Spring fundraiser. Some ideas were sub sale, Hess’s BBQ, etc.


Open Floor:


  • All 6th graders get a free yearbook from PTO.

  • It is not known yet if all LeTort 6th graders will be attending Marticville Middle school for the upcoming 2023-2024 year.


Next meeting will be February 9.

Meeting adjourned at 8pm.


LeTort PTO Monthly Meeting Minutes

November 15, 2022 at 6:30 pm (virtual)


In attendance: Melissa Hochreiter, President; Tara Beakes, Treasurer; Jess Martin, Secretary; Karen Giffin, Asst. Officer; Gabriela Hagiu, Asst. Treasurer, Dr. Carly McPherson, Principal, Mrs. Geiter, Kindergarten teacher, and 8 other attendees.


Melissa opened the meeting at 6:30pm.


Principal’s Report:


Dr. McPherson reported that report cards will be posted on Friday and the hope is parents will review them and have them to discuss at conferences next week. Conferences take place next week on Monday until 8pm and Tuesday until 3:45 pm.


The first all school assembly will be on December 9. It is a science theme called Dome Earth Theater. Each class will get a 30 minute session.


There will be a holiday concert in December featuring band, orchestra, and chorus on December 21. Parents of those students will be invited to attend and it will be recorded for viewing elsewhere as well.


Treasurer’s Report:


Tara shared that there is currently $18,016.59 in the account.


Previous/Upcoming Events:


Karen shared that a check will be coming from Isaac’s in a few weeks. It was unknown how well attended the Take Out Night was.


Dr. McPherson delivered a meal from El Serrano to the winner who raised the most money during Laps that was covered by PTO.


Melissa noted that the bounce day provided by PTO was greatly appreciated and enjoyed by all the students. It was a great weather day!


The book fair papers came out this week as well as an envelope for each student. The books have arrived and the set up is scheduled for Friday. Teachers can preview it on Monday morning and make a wish list. **Volunteers are still needed especially for the younger classes.


Melissa mentioned that Scrip gift card fundraiser will be happening this year. A paper will be coming home with more details. The deadline will be December 7 and delivery will be around the 12th. PTO makes a percentage off each card sold.


The PTO will be providing a meal for teachers on Monday evening during conferences. It will include drinks, coffee, and dessert.


Tara talked about the Holiday Shop that is coming up the week of December 5th-9th. It will be held at 5 Below this year. Our school will get 10% of everything sold during those days with the school flier. The designated LeTort shopping day is December 8. That evening from about 5:30 until 8pm the students can get a helper to shop for the family. There will also be a gift wrapping station set up.


Take Out Tuesday will be held December 8 at Noodle & Co (next to 5 Below) from 4-8pm in conjunction with the Holiday Shop.


The school wide Winter celebration will be held (tentative date) December 22. The teachers will be wearing pajamas and sharing their favorite childhood story. There will also be caroling by the PTO, hot cocoa or chocolate milk, and candy canes.


Open Floor discussion:


Ashlee asked about pictures for Laps for LeTort regarding the class pictures that she took.


Lauren mentioned the yearbook cover contest that usually takes place over the holidays for 6th grade students. She also inquired about coordinating the LifeTouch pictures with our yearbook company.


The meeting was adjourned at 7:23pm.


The next meeting will be in January.


Minutes submitted by Jess Martin


LeTort PTO Monthly Meeting Minutes

October 20, 2022


In attendance was Melissa Hochreiter (President), Tara Beakes (Treasurer), Mrs. Winters (2nd grade teacher),

Mrs. Baker (academic support teacher), and four other attendees. Melissa opened the meeting at 6:35pm with

introductions.

Staff Report-

*Given by Mrs. Winters on behalf of Dr. McPherson

Parent teacher conferences are being held on Monday, November 21 st from 1:45-8:00pm and Tuesday,

November 22 nd from 1:45-3:45pm. There may be additional times for conferences provided by

individual teachers. The link to sign up will be sent out tomorrow, October 21 st . Please make sure to

sign up! Melissa confirmed that the PTO will provide dinner for the teachers during the evening

conferences on Monday. Many thanks for Laps for LeTort. The teachers noted how smoothly the day seemed

to go and the kids had a lot of fun!


Treasurer Report-

Tara reported that there is currently $15,997.43 in the account. Laps for LeTort raised $12,973.05 to date but

there are still donations coming in. It was discussed that we now have a bit of a “cushion” to work with after

the depletion of funds during Covid.


Previous Events Recap-

Melissa discussed the county wide PTO movie night that was held at Clipper Magazine Stadium. LeTort

sold 100 tickets that were provided and made $300 from those sales. A question was asked if we had

to turn anyone away after selling all 100 tickets, but it was said that we were able to get more tickets if

needed. There was food available at the stadium and all the attendees enjoyed their evening!

Melissa shared information on the last take out night on behalf of Karen. It was held at El Toro

Barbacoa, and we were able to raise $149. The owner communicated that all the orders were filled.

Melissa was happy to report that Laps for LeTort was a huge success and we were able to raise $12,973

to date! The students are receiving incentives for raising money. Mrs. Binkley’s class raised the most

money, so they enjoyed a water balloon battle. There will be a “LeTort story hour” where teachers will

dress in their PJ’s and share their favorite childhood story, Dr. McPherson will dress up as the LeTort

Lion at a later date, and the school is having a bounce party. The date for the bounce party is

Thursday, November 3 rd with a rain date of November 7 th or November 8 th . There was a lot of positive

feedback from both parents and teachers about the event. It was noted that the kick off assembly that

was held generated a lot of buzz within the students. Melissa also shared that there were several

people who had trouble making donations in the days leading up to Laps. After speaking with the

company, it was discovered that multiple organizations on the Fundly site were hacked. None of the

credit cards used from LeTort were compromised and the company that is in charge of Fundly, called

Stripe, shut down the website until new security measures could be put in place. That was the reason

donations were not able to be made. The PTO will look into other options for collecting funds next

year in hopes to avoid this from happening again.


Upcoming Events-


Melissa gave information on the next take out Tuesday on behalf of Karen. It will be held on

November 1 st at Isaac’s on Centerville Road. We will receive 15% of all sales (including dine in, take

out, catering, and gift cards) from anyone who brings in the flyer anytime on the 1 st .

Mrs. Baker and Melany Musser discussed the upcoming scholastic book fair. Once they receive the

material from scholastic, flyers will be sent out with information about the event. The students will

visit the book fair during the school day with their classes at designated times. The fair will also be

available for parents to visit during conferences. The teachers will have wish lists available for families

who would like to gift books to teachers. It was mentioned that there is an option to set up an eWallet

for each teacher with a QR code that would be available at the fair. eWallet will also be available for

students to use or they may bring their own money. Mrs. Baker said that they are working on having a

child wish list paper available for those students who want to write down books that they see and may

enjoy as a gift. It was also confirmed that the PTO will be purchasing a book for each student again this

year. Students will choose their book in class, and they will be distributed once the order is filled.

Volunteers will be needed during the book fair, especially to help the younger students, and a sign up

genius link will be sent out closer to the date.

Tara shared some information about the new holiday shop event. The PTO will host a shopping night

on Thursday, December 8 th at 5 Below on Fruitville Pike. Specific times will be shared at the next

meeting once more information is gathered. LeTort will be able to receive 10% of any purchase (if a

flyer is presented at time of purchase) during the whole week of December 5 th -9 th . Tara is looking into

recruiting 6 th graders, or maybe PMHS students, to help younger students make purchases and there

will be a table set up for wrapping gifts. There was discussion about possibly changing the take out

Tuesday in December to take out Thursday to coincide with the shopping night. More information to

come!

Melissa discussed the possibility of having a holiday event for the 2022 school year. Nothing has been

decided on yet. Any suggestions are welcome!

The next PTO monthly meeting will be held on Tuesday, November 15 th .

The meeting was adjourned by Melissa at 7:20pm.

Notes taken and submitted by Ashlee MartzallLeTort PTO Monthly Meeting Minutes


September 20, 2022 at 6:30pm


In attendance: Melissa Hochreiter, President; Tara Beakes, Treasurer; Gabriela Hagiu Asst.

Treasurer; Jess Martin, Secretary; Karen Giffen, Asst. Officer; Dr. Carly McPherson, Principal,

Mrs. Joyce Wright, 3 rd Grade Teacher; and 11 other attendees.

Melissa opened the meeting at 6:30 with introductions.

Principal’s Report:

  • Dr. McPherson reported that the school year was off to a good start and that some of the teachers and staff participated in an assembly that showed the students what to do and what not to do. 

  • There are 2 more assemblies planned throughout the year.  One is a “domed earth” exhibit and the other is a Md. Science Ctr with experiments.  There is a possible 3rd with the availability of a grant.

  • Communication looks different this year. The LeTort Ledger will come out once a week with important information.  Dr. McPherson encouraged people to explore the new “Letort.pennmanor.net” website.

  • The running club is looking for volunteers to record laps the students complete during recess.  Running club takes place on Tues/Thurs each week through November.

Treasurer’s Report:

Tara noted that there is currently right around $5000 in the account which is on the low side. 

Previous Events Recap:

  • Jess shared that Meet Me On the Playground had a good turn out of new students and Kindergarten families. PTO officers were able to mingle with the parents while kids played.

  • Melissa talked about a new fundraiser called Got Sneakers. We were able to collect $30 worth of used athletic shoes. This will run all school year.

  • Karen reported that our first Take Out Night at Friendly’s wasn’t as well attended as expected. We still made $153. It was a rainy night right after a holiday weekend. 

  • Gabriela discussed Back to School Night. The PTO was set up in the gym with signup/interest sheets for future activities during back to school night. There was a great turn out!

  • Melissa talked about the staff welcome back lunch/gifting breakfast. They were both well appreciated by the teachers. 

  • Gabriela shared that the spirit wear sale made $329.37. We went with a company from the past and the prices were a little cheaper. (B&T) All items should be in by early October.

Upcoming Events:

  • Melissa shared about the countywide PTO movie night. A new event for us that takes place at the home of the Barnstormers. All 100 tickets were sold at $5 each.

  • Karen mentioned that the next Take Out Tuesday will be held October 4 at El Toro Barbacoa from 4-7pm. All orders will need to be called in ahead of time and picked up. A LeTort flyer will be required to show when you pick up your order so we get credit. A limited menu is available for the night.  Although the restaurant portion is closed, the business is remaining open as a catering venue.

  • Melissa noted that Custodian Appreciation Day is October 3. We will be giving our 2 amazing custodians a small gift. Students are welcome to make a card to show their appreciation too.

  • Melissa discussed Laps for LeTort which is our biggest FUNdraiser of the year and will be held on October 7. There will be a short assembly trying to pump up the kids to get donations. Parent volunteers will be needed. There will be no t-shirts given out this year due to lack of funds. The theme will be PM/LeTort school spirit. 

  • Roller Skating night will be moved to the Spring due to lack of funds.

  • The Scholastic Book Fair will be held November 21 and 22 during parent/teacher conferences. Melany Musser and Kim Baker will be chairing this event.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:45pm.