First LeTort PTO Meeting for 2020-2021 School Year
October 1, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. on Zoom
In attendance: Dana Cook, President; Melissa Hochreiter, Vice-President; Tara Beakes, Treasurer; Barbee Myer, Secretary; Mrs. Carly McPherson, Principal; Mrs. Joyce Wright, Third Grade Teacher; Mrs. Debra Beighley, Fifth Grade Teacher; Mrs. Jenna Moyer, Fifth Grade Teacher and 7 additional participants
Dana Cook opened the meeting at 6:32 p.m. with introduction of the officers.
Mrs. McPherson reported that the School Board met recently and approved a plan to have students return to in person instruction. Some students with IEPs are already returning to full in person learning. Barring any COVID complications, grades 3-6 will return to full in person learning on November 9. The School Board will meet November 2 to make sure things are ready to go with the return to full in person learning. Social distancing will still be in effect, but there will be changes like in the cafeteria with number of students at each table and some classes going back to their classroom of origin. The teachers of specials will continue to go to classrooms with a cart until at least January.
Mrs. McPherson also noted that the specials schedule will change this coming Monday, October 5 with half of the school having Physical Education with Dr. Janssen and the other half having Applied Engineering.
Mrs. McPherson shared that Parent/Teacher Conferences will take place Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving week this year. Monday will be the day for evening conferences. Conferences will be virtual. Parents will be able to sign up for a slot that works for their schedule. More information will be coming in the next two weeks. When asked about PTO helping with food, Mrs. McPherson noted that individually boxed dinners for the teachers on the late evening will be welcome and appreciated.
The teachers in attendance expressed appreciation for how the PTO has provided money for each classroom and for playground equipment. They also noted that they will appreciate the meal provided at Parent/Teacher conference time.
Several parents expressed appreciation to the teachers for the hard work they are doing in this unusual year.
Tara Beakes reported that there is $17,399.01 in the bank.
Giant Rewards $581.91
Cans for Kids $111.45
Teacher Money $3100.00
Playground equipment $672.92
First day sign $212.00
Cans for Kids involves bringing aluminum to a drop-off spot behind the school. It was expressed that it would be good to publicize this opportunity to the school community.
Dana Cook presented the budget for the first half of the school year. With the unusual circumstances this year, the budget will be updated later for the second half of the year.
LeTort Half Year Budget
Items Budgeted Money Budgeted Actual Amount Used
Teacher Money (beginning of year) $3100.00 $3100.00
Classroom Playground Equipment $672.92 $700.00
Signage (1st day of school) $212.00 $212.00
School Assemblies $1000.00 $400.00
Spirit Wear $0
Book Fair (Each student gets a book)
300 Students @$7.00 a book $2100.00
Misc. School Equipment $500.00
Totals as of 9/27/2020 $7584.92 $4412.00
Melissa Hochreiter made a motion that the budget for the first half of the year be approved. Tara Beakes seconded the motion.
Please note that the PTO will not be able to send papers home this year. Communication will primarily take place through the school blog, PTO Facebook page and PTO Twitter account.
· Spirit Wear Sale: Dana Cook shared that the PTO will be running a Spirit Wear sale starting Wednesday, October 7. A LeTort family business will offer a variety of Penn Manor/LeTort items for sale (e.g. t-shirts, sweatpants, masks, etc). Items will either be shipped home or available for pick-up at the shop in Hempfield. Orders will be available in time for Christmas. More information on how to order will soon be posted to the school blog and PTO social media.
· Bus Driver Appreciation Week- October 19-23. Dana Cook shared that students and families will be encouraged to show appreciation to their student’s bus driver. More information about it will be shared in the future on the school blog and PTO social media.
· Scholastic Virtual Book Fair- November 9-22. Dana Cook reported that the book fair will be online. In past years, the PTO has provided a coupon for each student to get a free book. The online format will not allow for a coupon, but the PTO would like to continue to give every student a book. Each student will have the opportunity to select a book from different choices provided in each grade level. Mrs. McPherson noted that she can make a Google form for teachers to compile choices and forward information to the PTO for ordering.
· Weis 4 School- Dana Cook reported that Weis grocery store is starting a rewards card program for schools. Shoppers at Weis can accumulate money rewards for LeTort as they shop at Weis. A code for LeTort will be provided so that those who shop at Weis can enroll in the program. More information will be posted to the school blog and PTO social media.
· Box Tops for Education- Dana Cook shared that individuals earn box tops rewards for LeTort by using the Box top app to track box top items on each shopping receipt. More information about how to participate in this passive fundraiser will be posted to the school blog and PTO social media.
· Dana Cook noted that Dave Murray, a past officer in the PTO, recently passed away. She noted that the PTO would like to honor Dave’s faithful service by giving individuals the opportunity to give to a Penn Manor Education Foundation Scholarship set up in Dave’s honor. Any individuals interested in honoring Dave in this way can contact one of the PTO officers by October 16.
· Mrs. McPherson noted that she will update the school blog with current PTO officer information including the new PTO email address.
· It was also noted that several people have received emails from Lifetouch about LeTort yearbooks. The yearbook is not done through Lifetouch, so please disregard these emails.
· It was shared that the virtual PTO meeting option is appreciated as it allows people to easily attend meetings, even when on the go.
PTO Officer Contact Information:
President- Dana Cook- firstname.lastname@example.org- 717-381-1982
Vice-President- Melissa Hochreiter- email@example.com- 717-538-0401
Treasurer- Tara Beakes- firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary- Barbee Myer- email@example.com
PTO Email address- firstname.lastname@example.org
Next Virtual PTO Meeting- November 10 at 6:30 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Barbee Myer, Secretary